Frequently Asked Questions

A DA is normally lodged with the local Council. In a DA you are seeking approval of a concept. E.g. to use the land for a dwelling or a shopping centre. If your application is approved or consented to you do not have approval to build until you obtain a Construction Certificate.

Development Consent is the approval of the DA. It generally has a DA reference number, a date of endorsement, a date of expiration and will provide a list of conditions that must be adhered to.

A Construction Certificate is your approval to build and can be obtained from South Coast Building Approvals and Inspections after you have obtained Development Consent for your project.

A Certifier is a person who has been accredited by the Building Professionals Board of NSW. Certifiers are responsible for issuing the Construction Certificate. This involves assessing the submitted information and supplying the approval to start building.

The PC undertakes the critical stage inspections of the building project and will assess compliance with the approved plans. The PC is also responsible for determining whether an Occupation Certificate can be issued to enable the building to be occupied. The PC can be the Certifier who issued the Construction Certificate or another Certifier.

A CDC can be obtained by making application to South Coast Building Approvals and Inspections. A CDC can be issued in circumstances where the proposed building works meet specific predetermined criteria set by the NSW State Government. A CDC negates the need to go through the process of applying for a Development Consent and Construction Certificate.

Exempt Development is building works that are of such a minor nature that neither Development Consent, a Complying Development Certificate or a Construction Certificate is required. The works must meet specific predetermined criteria.

If your property is mapped as being “bushfire prone land” by the local council you will probably need a bushfire report to submit with your development application. Check with your local Council to find out.

An Owner Builders Permit is required where the reasonable market cost of building works(including labour and materials) exceeds $10,000 and a licensed building contractor has not been engaged. The permit can be obtained from the Department of Fair Trading. If the market cost exceeds $20,000 you can only obtain an Owner Builder’s Permit after successfully completing an Owner Builder’s course run by an approved provider.

HBCF insurance is required to be obtained where a licenced contractor is carrying out work with a contract value over $20,000, or, if the contract price is not known, the reasonable market cost of the labor and materials involved is over $20,000.

HBCF covers the homeowner (and subsequent owners) where the contracted building work is incomplete or defective and the builder has either died, disappeared, become insolvent, or the licence of the builder is suspended for failure to comply with a compensation order in favour of the homeowner made by a Court or the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

The LSL is a NSW Government levy on building and construction work costing $25,000 and above. The levy is paid by the owners of a building or construction project into a fund administered by the Building and Construction Industry Long Service Payments Corporation, and from this fund, the Corporation makes long service payments to building and construction workers. The current levy rate is 0.35 % of the value of building and construction works costing $25,000 and above.

The NCC is produced by the Australian Building Codes Board and it contains the minimum technical requirements/standards that a building must achieve.

A Building Certificate is a certificate that may be issued by Council upon application. I issued the certificate will state that for a period of 7 years Council will not serve specific orders on the building the subject of the certificate.

These are contributions paid to council for developments that increase the need for public services. In theory it is used for providing public facilities such as parks, library resources etc.

How can we help you?

Contact us at (02) 44740542 or submit a business inquiry online.